Key points drawn from coverage. Tap a point to see the original sentence.
July 2026
The Namibian
Alex Sikumeconfirmed on Thursdaythat Katima Mulilo is set to get two new schools
Source
“This was confirmed by Zambezi regional education director Alex Sikume on Thursday following a notice issued by the Katima Mulilo Town Council to residents.”
“Sikume refuted claims that pupils were starving, saying there was sufficient food provided then, and there is plenty of food for pupils, teachers, and guardians.”
Zambezi education director Alex Sikumesaidfurniture from three schools was moved during Easter holiday.
Source
“In an interview with New Era, Zambezi education director Alex Sikume said furniture from Muzii, Nankuntwe and Mpukano schools was moved during the Easter holiday, while the transfer of learners began on Sunday and was expected to be completed by Monday.”
Zambezi regional education director Alex SikumetoldThe Namibian three schools account for 520 pupils and 35 staff relocated during Easter break
Source
“Zambezi regional education director Alex Sikume told The Namibian yesterday that the three schools account for 520 pupils and 35 staff, all of whom were relocated along with their furniture during the Easter break.”
Alex Sikumesaidnine flood-affected schools will soon be relocated for safety
Source
“Last week, regional education director Alex Sikume said nine flood-affected schools in Kabbe South and Kabbe North will soon be relocated for safety reasons.”
Katima Mulilo Town Council has resolved to donate two plots in Extension 27 and Townlands no 1328, measuring 2.52 hectares and 6 hectares respectively, to the Ministry of Education to address classroom overcrowding in the town, where most schools have more than 1,000 pupils enrolled.
Katima Mulilo Town Council has resolved to donate two plots in Extension 27 and Townlands no 1328, measuring 2.52 hectares and 6 hectares respectively, to the Ministry of Education to address classroom overcrowding in the town, where most schools have more than 1,000 pupils enrolled.
Dozens of pupils from three flood-affected schools in Zambezi have not returned to class since the term began after schools were relocated to higher ground in March. Parents have kept pupils home, citing inadequate conditions and lack of teaching at the relocation sites.
Grades 8 and 9 boys at Caprivi Senior Secondary School were forced to sleep in cold corridors without blankets as punishment for losing hostel keys. The incident has drawn condemnation from parents and the Namibia National Students Organisation, with the regional education director confirming the matter and pledging to address it through public service staff rules.
A Simataa Secondary School pupil was severely assaulted on 23 March by a Grade 12 pupil and three others over an unpaid N$20 debt, suffering spinal cord injury, breathing difficulties, and vision problems. The accused is out on bail of N$2,000 and returned to school, while the victim remains hospitalized and may repeat his grade.
Three flood-affected schools in Kabbe North and Kabbe South have relocated approximately 528 learners to higher ground in Luhonono and Lusese, with classes resuming on Tuesday. The Ministry of Works and Transport assisted with the relocation using larger and smaller boats, and learners will be accommodated in hostels, community facilities, and temporary classroom tents while the region deploys floating bridges to restore access to isolated communities.
Devastating floods and locust outbreaks in Namibia's Zambezi region have destroyed thousands of hectares of crops and displaced over 2,000 people, prompting the government to commit to feeding affected residents until the next harvest season. The regional minister has called on government to provide seeds, fodder for livestock, and continued support as communities struggle with starvation.
Severe flooding in Namibia's Zambezi region has submerged villages and displaced families to higher ground and schools, with officials reporting shortages of tents and food aid despite assistance from the Prime Minister's office. The floods have also pushed wildlife out of their natural habitat, prompting the Environment and Tourism ministry to map displaced animals to prevent poaching.
The Zambezi regional education directorate is considering relocating about nine schools severely affected by annual floods in the eastern part of the region, with water levels at 6.78m. Consultations with relevant authorities are ongoing, and the government has allocated N$30 million for the uprooting of at least three of the schools.
Severe floods in Namibia's Zambezi region have made schools, clinics, and villages inaccessible except by boat, with the Zambezi River water level at 6.75m compared to 2.17m last year. Governor Dorothy Kabula-Simushi says officials plan to relocate affected communities and schools to higher ground while the Office of the Prime Minister has delivered tents, food, and water tanks to support displaced residents.
Rising floodwaters in the Zambezi region have cut off road access to Muzii Combined School, with pupils now using canoes to cross a swollen stream before walking to class. The regional education director says teaching is uninterrupted but authorities are prepared to take safety measures if flooding worsens.