FIFA president who oversaw the 2026 World Cup expansion to 48 teams but faced mounting pressure and resignation calls over a failed private investment plan.
Gianni Infantinoreceived pledges of support fromAfrican and Asian regional confederations for re-election
Source
“Fifa president Gianni Infantino's hopes of securing re-election as the head of world football received a massive boost on Thursday after pledges of support from the African and Asian regional confederations.”
Infantinofaced criticism forclose ties to US President Donald Trump
Source
“Infantino has faced controversy during his reign over his close ties to US President Donald Trump, who was awarded the inaugural Fifa Peace Prize during last year's World Cup draw.”
Fifa president Gianni InfantinosaidFifa is in its most solid financial position ever, enabling it to help all member associations unprecedentedly
Source
“"Fifa is proud to be in its most solid financial position ever, enabling us to help all our member associations in an unprecedented way," Fifa president Gianni Infantino said in a statement.”
Fifa president Gianni Infantinocondemnedsome Senegal players for unacceptable scenes
Source
“In the immediate aftermath of the final, Fifa president Gianni Infantino, who attended the match, had condemned "some Senegal players" for the "unacceptable scenes".”
Fifa president Gianni InfantinoslammedSenegal's walk-off
Source
“Fifa president Gianni Infantino, however, slammed Senegal's walk-off the day after the final, and the FRMF announced it was pursuing legal action with international football body Fifa and CAF because it "significantly impacted the normal flow of the match and the players' performance".”
Fifa president Gianni Infantinosays it was unacceptable toleave the field of play in this manner
Source
“Fifa president Gianni Infantino says it was "unacceptable to leave the field of play in this manner" and that the scenes "must be condemned and never repeated".”
Gianni Infantinosaidall 104 World Cup matches will be sold out
Source
“All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Wednesday, even though tickets are still available ahead of the tournament's June 11 kickoff.”
Cameroon defeated Malawi 3-0 in the final in Rabat to win the Women's Africa Cup of Nations for the first time after finishing runners-up on three occasions. Cameroon had initially failed to qualify but received a second chance when the tournament organisers increased the field from 12 to 16 teams.
Cameroon defeated Malawi 3-0 in the final in Rabat to win the Women's Africa Cup of Nations for the first time after finishing runners-up on three occasions. Cameroon had initially failed to qualify but received a second chance when the tournament organisers increased the field from 12 to 16 teams.
Confederation of African Football president Patrice Motsepe has said that Gianni Infantino's future as Fifa president should be decided by election, as the embattled Infantino faces criticism over an aborted plan to sell World Cup stakes to private investors and pressure from UEFA, Concacaf and AFC to resign.
Uefa, Concacaf and AFC issued a joint letter criticizing Fifa president Gianni Infantino, declaring that football "belongs to no individual" and stating that leadership is not a possession. The letter came after Infantino launched and then withdrew a plan to bring private investment into Fifa competitions, drawing scathing criticism from multiple confederations.
Fifa president Gianni Infantino, who rode high after overseeing the successful 2026 World Cup expansion to 48 teams, now faces his position under threat following the collapse of a private investor plan.
Fifa president Gianni Infantino has withdrawn a proposal to allow private investment in the World Cup, which had faced fierce opposition from Uefa, national governments, and continental football bodies. The plan would have sought $4.2 billion from minority investors in Fifa Forward Enterprise while Fifa retained majority control.
Fifa president Gianni Infantino has lost the confidence of European football's governing body Uefa after withdrawing his plan to allow private investment in the World Cup, which Uefa had dismissed as a "shabby, back room, opaque deal" and threatened to boycott all Fifa competitions over.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino has proposed FIFA Forward Enterprise, a new commercial subsidiary that could deliver up to US$40 million (approximately N$660 million) to the Namibia Football Association over four years if member associations approve by 19 September 2026. The funding could address long-standing gaps in stadium infrastructure, training facilities, youth development, and women's football, though the proposal has divided the football world.
All 41 Concacaf member associations have rejected FIFA's proposal to sell a stake in World Cup business operations, citing concerns about lack of due process, an artificially short deadline, and absence of governance review. The members also questioned the need for private equity investment after the most profitable FIFA World Cup in history.
Fifa president Gianni Infantino defended a proposal to create a private subsidiary to exploit World Cup commercial benefits, calling it "an opportunity but not an obligation" and saying it would unlock previously uncaptured value to benefit member associations, though the proposal sparked global outrage after being revealed.
African football boss Patrice Motsepe defended FIFA president Gianni Infantino on Wednesday, praising his commitment to football and support for Africa, despite growing criticism over Infantino's handling of issues including a suspension decision and tournament format changes.
Fifa declares the expanded 48-team World Cup across the United States, Mexico and Canada a triumph, marked by thrilling football and strong performances from smaller nations including Cape Verde, Curaçao, and Egypt, who reached knockout rounds in record numbers.
Fifa referees chief Pierluigi Collina has rejected "unfounded allegations" of malpractice by officials who oversaw Argentina's 3-2 World Cup victory over Egypt in Atlanta. Egypt coach Hossam Hassan had speculated the officiating team was subjected to external pressure to favour Argentina and criticised several decisions, including a goal chalked off by VAR.
FIFA chief Gianni Infantino defended the decision to suspend a red card issued to US World Cup star Folarin Balogun, allowing him to play against Belgium in a last-16 match. The reprieve followed US President Donald Trump's direct appeal to Infantino, who insisted FIFA's disciplinary process remained independent, while Belgium's appeal was dismissed as "inadmissible."
The FIFA World Cup kicks off Thursday with the first tournament co-hosted by three nations (United States, Canada, and Mexico) featuring a record 48 teams. The opening match pits co-host Mexico against South Africa in Mexico City, while the final will be held at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey on July 19.
The one-month countdown to the 2026 Fifa World Cup begins Monday with a record 48 teams descending on the United States, Canada and Mexico, though soaring ticket prices, political tensions, and conflict in Iran have cast an early shadow over the tournament.
The Namibia Football Association will soon enter an agreement with the Pakistan Football Federation to build long-term institutional ties and strengthen development pathways in both countries. Preliminary discussions took place at the 76th Fifa Congress in Vancouver, Canada, with formal signing planned during an upcoming Fifa seminar in Miami.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino has received pledges of support from the African and Asian football confederations ahead of his expected candidacy for a fourth term in 2027. The two confederations account for 101 votes out of 211 in FIFA's presidential election.
FIFA boosted total World Cup cash distributions to nearly $900 million (specifically $871 million) from an initial $727 million, citing concerns over rising costs for the 48 teams competing in Mexico, Canada and the United States. The increase includes raising preparation costs per team from $1.5 million to $2.5 million and qualifying payments from $9 million to $10 million per team.
Senegal has lodged an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport to challenge the Confederation of African Football's decision to strip them of the 2024 Africa Cup of Nations title and award it to Morocco after their players protested a penalty decision in the final. CAF had overturned Senegal's 1-0 victory, declaring them to have forfeited the match after they walked off the pitch in protest.
The Confederation of African Football has stripped Senegal of their 2025 Africa Cup of Nations title and awarded it to Morocco after reviewing a controversial final where Senegalese players walked off the pitch in protest against refereeing decisions. Senegal's Football Federation has condemned the decision as "unfair, unprecedented, and unacceptable" and says it will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, a process that may take over a year to resolve.
The Confederation of African Football stripped Senegal of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations title and awarded it to Morocco, overturning Senegal's 1-0 victory in the final after the Senegalese players briefly walked off in protest over a stoppage-time penalty. The Senegalese Football Federation says it will appeal the decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, calling it "unfair, unprecedented and unacceptable."
Four years after expelling Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, FIFA and the International Olympic Committee have taken a muted stance toward the recent US-led attack on Iran, prompting experts to accuse them of applying inconsistent standards and prioritizing powerful nations over principle.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino said all 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," with 508 million ticket requests received for seven million available tickets. Infantino defended ticket prices as market-driven and estimated the tournament would generate over $11 billion in revenue for FIFA and around $30 billion in economic impact for the US.
Gianni Infantino defended his controversial decision to give US President Donald Trump FIFA's inaugural peace prize at the 2026 World Cup draw in December, dismissing calls for a boycott. Infantino told Sky News that Trump "objectively" deserved the award and rejected suggestions that the World Cup hosting in North America would be boycotted over Trump administration policies.
Senegal defeated Morocco in a controversial Africa Cup of Nations final in Rabat, marked by a disputed penalty award, Senegal players walking off the pitch, and clashes between fans and security that have drawn criticism and threatened future sanctions against Senegal and potential FIFA investigation into Morocco's hosting and VAR inconsistencies.