Also known as: Mr Amushelelo · Michael-Ndali Saddam Amushelelo
Activist who launched a 10,528-plot private housing estate near Windhoek and has challenged speed humps on the Western Bypass through court action and public campaigns.
Michael Amushelelowon a case and was awardedN$300 000 in connection with unlawful arrest and detention
Source
“Amushelelo was awarded N$300 000 and Nauyoma was awarded N$80 000 in a judgement delivered by acting judge Natasha Bassingthwaighte in the Windhoek High Court on Wednesday.”
Michael Amusheleloallegedthat Nambahu holds interests in pharmaceutical company JFT and it benefited from tenders
Source
“Social justice activist Michael Amushelelo also raised allegations on social media regarding Nambahu's removal. He claimed that Nambahu holds interests in a pharmaceutical manufacturing company called JFT and alleged that the company benefited from tenders while competing medicines were blocked from registration.”
Michael Amusheleloallegedthat family members were forced to bring food daily to relatives in police custody because inmates were not receiving meals
Source
“Amushelelo on Monday alleged on social media that family members were being forced to bring food daily to relatives in police custody because inmates were allegedly not receiving meals.”
Michael Amusheleloalleged thatpolice attempted to conceal shooting incident details
Source
“The debate intensified over the weekend after social justice activist Michael Amushelelo alleged that police attempted to conceal details surrounding the shooting incident earlier this month.”
Michael Amusheleloalleged that Namibian Police Force attempted to conceala police shooting incident
Source
“THE Namibian Police Force (NamPol) has strongly rejected allegations by activist Michael Amushelelo that it attempted to conceal a police shooting incident, insisting that the matter was reported and is being investigated in accordance with the law.”
Michael Amusheleloasked the State to consolidate360 fraud and money laundering charges
Source
“Social activist and former forex trader Michael Amushelelo and his business partner, Gregory Cloete, have asked the State to consolidate 360 fraud and money laundering charges against them, arguing that several counts are duplications.”
Social activist Michael Amushelelo launched the Amushelelo Hosea Kutako Airport Estate, a private housing development of up to 10,528 plots near Windhoek, in partnership with businessman Harvey Boulter and lawyer Kadhila Amoomo, offering three plot sizes priced from N$40,000 to N$60,000 with monthly payments from about N$1,500.
Social activist Michael Amushelelo launched the Amushelelo Hosea Kutako Airport Estate, a private housing development of up to 10,528 plots near Windhoek, in partnership with businessman Harvey Boulter and lawyer Kadhila Amoomo, offering three plot sizes priced from N$40,000 to N$60,000 with monthly payments from about N$1,500.
Namibian lawyer Kadhila Amoomo says professionals including lawyers, doctors and engineers can no longer afford homes, contrasting this with an earlier era when people in ordinary jobs could build houses and raise families.
Prominent lawyer Patrick Kauta says he intends to sue Works and Transport Minister Veikko Nekundi after his son was critically injured in a crash on the B1 road in Windhoek, which Kauta attributes to recently installed speed humps. The crash occurred when another vehicle rear-ended his son's car near a speed hump outside a Windhoek club resort, causing multiple injuries; his son remains in intensive care nearly three weeks later.
More than 2,500 Namibians registered their interest in affordable housing through Yambuka Housing at a community launch event in Windhoek, reflecting high demand for accessible homeownership solutions amid struggling rental affordability.
The City of Windhoek met with representatives of 104 informal traders at Chinatown to discuss a decision to vacate the area over safety and hygiene concerns. The traders requested permission to continue operations while registering for formal relocation to designated markets, with the City expected to respond in writing on Friday.
The City of Windhoek says it will continue enforcing by-laws against more than 100 informal traders at Chinatown following a peaceful march, citing safety, hygiene, and compliance concerns. Traders, led by activists Michael Amushelelo and Shaun Gariseb, are demanding designated land to operate rather than relocating to formal markets like Bonsmara, arguing they would lose customer access.
Social justice activists and China Town vendors will march to the City of Windhoek to demand clarity on a verbal directive used to evict them from trading spaces and seek the City to honour previous commitments made during a deputation.
Judge Gabriel Komboni dismissed activist Michael Amushelelo's urgent application against the minister of works and transport and the Roads Authority over speed humps installed on Windhoek's Western Bypass, finding that Amushelelo failed to demonstrate the officials acted unfairly, unreasonably, or contrary to law.
High Court Judge Gabriel Komboni dismissed an application by activist Michael Amushelelo seeking to force the Ministry of Works and Transport and the Roads Authority to remove speed humps on the B1 Western Bypass, finding that Amushelelo failed to demonstrate how the installation violated common law or legislation.
Judge Gabriel Komboni dismissed Michael Amushelelo's urgent application seeking to have speed humps on the Western Bypass near Windhoek's Northern Industrial Area declared unlawful and removed. Amushelelo argued the humps violated the Road Traffic and Transport Act of 1999 and posed a public hazard; he has accused the judiciary of bias and says he intends to appeal.
Judge Gabriel Komboni dismissed activist Michael Amushelelo's urgent application to have speed humps removed from the Western Bypass in Windhoek, which Amushelelo had argued disrupt traffic and pose a risk to motorists. According to the Roads Authority, the speed humps were installed in areas where pedestrian accidents have been recorded.
A High Court judge postponed judgment in activist Michael Amushelelo's case seeking removal of speed humps on Windhoek's Western Bypass until Friday. Amushelelo is challenging the speed humps as unlawful and a public hazard, and seeking an interdict to prevent further installation on national highways.
Activist Michael Amushelelo led a protest on Windhoek's Western Bypass against N$704,000 speed humps installed per a directive by the minister of works and transport, arguing they cause severe traffic congestion and that pedestrian safety should not come at motorists' expense. The group presented a petition with over 1,000 signatures and offered to help fund alternative solutions such as pedestrian bridges.
A petition with more than 16,560 signatures is calling for pedestrian bridges to replace speed humps on the B1 highway, alleging the humps cause vehicle damage and highway collisions. Social justice activist Michael Amushelelo, who is leading the campaign, has announced plans to file a class-action lawsuit against the minister of works and transport seeking financial compensation for motorists claiming vehicle damage and injuries.
Motorists gathered along the Western Bypass in Windhoek to protest recently installed speed humps worth N$704,000, ordered by the minister of works and transport. Protesters say the humps cause congestion and disrupt traffic flow, though an activist acknowledged the need for pedestrian safety while calling for alternative measures such as pedestrian bridges.
The Ministry of Works and Transport has dismissed social media claims that it is removing recently installed speed humps on Windhoek's Western Bypass, stating that what is visible is ongoing installation. An activist has challenged the humps in court, seeking an order to declare them unlawful and compel their removal, with the case pending until 30 June.
The Windhoek municipality disconnected water to the Ministry of Works and Transport's head office over an unpaid utility bill of N$9.66 million; the water was restored yesterday after four days without supply and the minister instructed officials to settle the debt and investigate how it accumulated.
Grades 8 and 9 boys at Caprivi Senior Secondary School were forced to sleep in cold corridors without blankets as punishment for losing hostel keys. The incident has drawn condemnation from parents and the Namibia National Students Organisation, with the regional education director confirming the matter and pledging to address it through public service staff rules.
Michael Amushelelo brought an urgent application to the Windhoek High Court on Friday arguing that speed humps installed 10 days ago on the Western Bypass endanger motorists and are unlawful under the Road Traffic and Transport Act. Judge Gabriel Komboni postponed his ruling to 30 June after hearing arguments from Amushelelo and government lawyer Wilhelm Amukoto.
Acting High Court judge Natasha Bassingthwaighte found that suspended police inspector general Joseph Shikongo unlawfully eroded the right to demonstrate by ordering that an unemployment protest could not take place on Independence Day 2023, awarding N$300,000 to activist Michael Amushelelo and N$80,000 to activist Dimbulukeni Nauyoma. The judge ruled that the Public Gatherings Proclamation of 1989 requires only notice, not permission, and the inspector general cannot use it to refuse or prevent public gatherings.
Five years ago, Roads Authority engineers rejected a proposal to install speed humps on the B1 Western Bypass, citing highway standards and the need for uninterrupted traffic flow. The Namibian reports that current RA board members disagree with minister of works and transport Veikko Nekundi's decision to proceed with speed humps, but have approved it under his instructions.
Activist Michael Amushelelo sought an urgent court order to have speed humps removed from Windhoek's Western Bypass, arguing they are unlawful and dangerous on high-speed roads; Judge Gabriel Komboni will deliver a ruling on 30 June after hearing arguments on Friday.
Transport Minister Veikko Nekundi has told the court that the concept of a "highway" does not exist in law in response to an urgent application by social activist Michael Amushelelo challenging the installation of speed bumps on the B1 Western Bypass. Amushelelo argues the bumps on the freeway designated for high-speed traffic create safety hazards and violate traffic regulations.
Social justice activist Michael Amushelelo filed an urgent High Court application to remove speed humps installed on the B1 Western Bypass near the Northern Industrial Area, arguing they are unlawful, violate the Road Traffic and Transport Act of 1999, and pose a public safety danger. He is seeking immediate removal and a prohibition on future physical speed humps on national highways and designated freeways in Namibia.
Michael Amushelelo and Dimbulukeni Nauyoma won a case against the minister of safety and security, inspector general of police and prosecutor general, receiving N$300,000 and N$80,000 respectively after being acquitted in October 2023 on charges related to their March 2023 arrest while attempting to stage a protest about unemployment.
The High Court ordered suspended Inspector-General Joseph Shikongo and the ministry of home affairs to compensate activists Michael Amushelelo and Dimbulukeni Nauyoma for arrests and detention following an anti-unemployment protest in March 2023, awarding Amushelelo N$300,000 and Nauyoma N$80,000, plus legal costs.
High Court judge Natasha Bassingthwaighte ordered the Ministry of Home Affairs, Safety and Security to compensate social activists Michael Amushelelo and Dimbulukeni Nauyoma for damages from their alleged unlawful arrest following a youth unemployment protest on 21 March 2023. Amushelelo was ordered N$300,000 and Nauyoma N$80,000.
Activists Michael Amushelelo and Dimbulukeni Nauyoma won a case against the minister of safety and security, inspector general, and prosecutor general over their 2023 arrest and detention. Amushelelo was awarded N$300,000 and Nauyoma N$80,000 after they were found not guilty of charges related to being prevented from staging a protest about unemployment.
The Ministry of Health and Social Services has removed Fransina Nambahu as registrar of medicines at the Namibia Medicines Regulatory Council and appointed Frieda Shiweda to the position effective 1 June 2026. Sources told the Windhoek Observer that Nambahu was removed after refusing to approve substandard medicines, contradicting the ministry's stated reason of structural review.