Namibia Minute.
Friday, 21 August 2026
Namibia’s news, on the hour · Est. 2026
Friday, 21 August 2026
OkaLexTranslate English into Oshikwanyama, Oshindonga, Rukwangali and OtjihereroMachine translation.Open the translator →
Windhoek—:—London—:—New York—:—Beijing—:—
Namibian press · Person

Milton Engelbrecht

Milton Engelbrecht — defence lawyer representing accused in High Court cases pending trial or sentencing.

2021-06-222026-08-21

What’s been said

Key points drawn from coverage. Tap a point to see the original sentence.

  1. January 2026
  2. New Era

    Milton Engelbrecht represents Sam

    Source

    The State is represented by Antonia Verroef, and Sam by Milton Engelbrecht.

    Bank employee ‘killers’ case deferred
  3. July 2025
  4. The Namibian

    Defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht informed the court that Willemse will not apply for bail at this stage

    Source

    Defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht, who is representing one of the accused, former Namcor supply and logistics manager Cedric Willemse, informed the court that Willemse will not be applying to be granted bail at this stage.

    State opposes bail for Namcor corruption accused
  5. January 2025
  6. The Namibian

    Defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht is representing Murangi

    Source

    Defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht is representing Murangi.

    ‘Strong case’ against gym instructor on murder charge
  7. The Namibian

    Milton Engelbrecht is representing the suspect

    Source

    Defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht is representing the suspect, and Rowan van Wyk is representing the state.

    Bail hearing of gym instructor accused of ex-girlfriend’s murder postponed to next week
  8. May 2024
  9. The Namibian

    Defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht represented Maasdorp during court appearance

    Source

    Maasdorp, who was represented by defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht yesterday, is expected to apply for legal aid before his next court appearance.

    Klein Windhoek murder accused stays in custody
  10. June 2021
  11. The Namibian

    Fellow defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht stated Diergaardt applied law objectively and was fair in judgements

    Source

    "In my opinion she applied the law objectively and she was fair in her judgements, also when it came to sentencing."

    Tributes to magistrate claimed by Covid

Yesterday

  1. Man convicted of murdering girlfriend in Otjiwarongo knife attack

    Protasius Kuvirua (35) was found guilty in the High Court of murdering his girlfriend Auguste Jonas (28) with a knife at her flat in Otjiwarongo on 19 March 2023. He was also convicted of assault by threat after chasing another man while wielding a knife; Jonas died from a stab wound to the heart and had thirteen stab injuries recorded during post-mortem examination.

    11 hours ago · The Namibian

Thursday 13 August

  1. Lawyer delays response to mental evaluation report on accused

    Defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht says he needs time to consider a psychiatric evaluation report on his client, Giano Seibeb (29), who was arrested at State House in Windhoek on 30 April after allegedly being found naked on the premises. Seibeb's case has been postponed to 4 September.

    13 August 2026 · The Namibian

Wednesday 5 August

  1. Police detective finds no rape evidence in Walvis Bay murder case

    A police detective testified in Windhoek High Court that a post-mortem examination found no evidence that a Walvis Bay resident allegedly murdered in December 2023 had been raped, though he could not exclude the possibility. Two men are on trial for murder, robbery, and rape in the case.

    5 August 2026 · The Namibian

Tuesday 4 August

  1. Judge rules oral admissions inadmissible in Walvis Bay murder trial

    A Windhoek High Court judge has declared inadmissible alleged oral admissions by two men accused of murdering, raping, and robbing a Walvis Bay resident in December 2023, finding that the state failed to prove the accused were informed of their constitutional rights before questioning.

    4 August 2026 · The Namibian

Tuesday 21 July

  1. State seeks murder conviction in Otjiwarongo stabbing case

    State advocate Maggy Shiyagaya urged the court to convict Prostasius Kuvirua for the murder of Auguste Jonas, whom he allegedly stabbed 13 times with a knife in March 2023 at Otjiwarongo, following an argument after Jonas was found in her bedroom with another man. The State argued the evidence is overwhelming and corroborated by two witnesses who saw the accused leave with a bloody knife and continue stabbing the deceased outside.

    21 July 2026 · New Era

Wednesday 10 June

  1. High Court child-rape trial verdict postponed to September

    Two Noordoewer men, Dirk von Weidts (75) and Jors Arrie (49), accused of raping a girl aged 10–11 between October 2020 and January 2021, will receive the verdict in their Windhoek High Court trial on 14 September. Judge Naomi Shivute postponed delivery of judgement after hearing closing arguments.

    10 June 2026 · The Namibian

Thursday 28 May

  1. Two men deny murder and rape of Walvis Bay resident

    Quanito van Vuuren (28) and Sem Moses (22) pleaded not guilty to murder, two counts of rape, and robbery with aggravating circumstances in connection with the death of Vernon Gavin (53) in his Walvis Bay home on 30 December 2023. Moses denied being at the home at all, while Van Vuuren admitted being present but said he did not commit the crimes.

    28 May 2026 · The Namibian

Wednesday 20 May

  1. Cellphone evidence contested in Zimbabwean girl murder trial

    The ongoing trial of three Zimbabwean nationals accused of murdering nine-year-old Akundaishe Natalie Chipomho in Windhoek has stalled over the admissibility of cellphone evidence; the girl's burned body was found in a skip bin in January 2020, and defence counsel argues the search warrant used to obtain cellphone data invoked an incorrect statutory provision and failed to comply with legal safeguards.

    20 May 2026 · Informanté

Thursday 16 April

  1. Fishrot trial postponed as recusal application stays proceedings

    The Fishrot case has been postponed to 24 April 2026 as former justice minister Sakeus Shanghala pursues leave to appeal a ruling dismissing his request for Judge Marelize du Plessis to recuse herself. Ricardo Gustavo's lawyer argues the repeated delays infringe the accused's right to a speedy trial and violate constitutional rights.

    16 April 2026 · New Era

Thursday 9 April

  1. Murder accused's confession statement read in child death trial

    A warning statement from Edward Nkata, accused of murdering nine-year-old Akundaishe Natalie Chipomho in 2020, was read in Windhoek High Court, in which he claims he kicked the child during a confrontation and that she died the next day, after which he and his wife dumped and burned her body in a municipal skip container. Nkata and his wife Caroline, along with the child's mother Rachel Kureva, face charges including murder, violating a dead body, and related offences.

    9 April 2026 · New Era

Friday 27 March

  1. Witness describes alleged abuse at Nkata residence where child died

    A neighbour testified in the trial of three accused of killing nine-year-old Akundaishe Natalie Chipomho that she witnessed aggressive beatings of children at the Nkata residence in Windhoek. The witness said she observed one child being hit with a belt and heard screaming that sounded like fear coming from the house, supporting State allegations that the accused kicked and beat the girl with objects, leaving her dead in a garage before her body was disposed of.

    27 March 2026 · New Era

Tuesday 24 February

  1. Ex-magistrate Kennedy's bid to dismiss rape charges fails

    A former magistrate Jaco Kennedy and co-accused Raymond Cloete have failed in applications to be discharged on most counts in a rape trial before Windhoek High Court; Kennedy was discharged on only one of eight counts he sought to dismiss, while Cloete was unsuccessful on all three counts he applied to be discharged from.

    24 February 2026 · The Namibian

Monday 16 February

  1. Kenyan man charged with murder of Namibian woman

    Geoffrey Jeff Kasume, a 40-year-old Kenyan national, was charged with the murder of Regina Nambashu Kondombolo (33), whose body was found in her home in Otjomuise's Extension 2. The State opposed bail citing premature investigations, flight risk concerns, and allegations that Kasume may have tampered with evidence at the scene.

    16 February 2026 · New Era

Saturday 14 February

  1. Kenyan man remanded on murder charge in Windhoek death

    A 40-year-old Kenyan man appeared in court on a murder charge related to the death of a 33-year-old woman found in her Windhoek home on Monday. The woman was assaulted and strangled; the accused remains in custody with bail opposed, and his case has been postponed to 24 April for further investigations.

    14 February 2026 · The Namibian

Wednesday 28 January

  1. Two Walvis Bay men charged with murdering bank employee in 2023

    Quanito van Vuuren and Moses Sem are accused of murdering, raping, and robbing bank employee Vernon Gavin on 30 December 2023. Their trial date is expected to be set on 29 January 2026 after a pre-trial appearance before the Windhoek High Court.

    28 January 2026 · New Era

Milton Engelbrecht — Namibian press coverage · Namibia Minute