Namibia Minute.
Friday, 21 August 2026
Namibia’s news, on the hour · Est. 2026
Friday, 21 August 2026
OkaLexTranslate English into Oshikwanyama, Oshindonga, Rukwangali and OtjihereroMachine translation.Open the translator →
Windhoek—:—London—:—New York—:—Beijing—:—
Namibian press · Person

Giano Seibeb

29-year-old Windhoek resident arrested after breaching State House security on 30 April; assessed as mentally unfit to stand trial with schizophrenia diagnosis.

2026-05-052026-08-21

What’s been said

Key points drawn from coverage. Tap a point to see the original sentence.

  1. August 2026
  2. The Namibian

    Giano Seibeb is alleged to have been found naked in a guest house at State House premises on 30 April

    Source

    Seibeb is alleged to have been found naked in a guest house at the State House premises on 30 April.

    Report on naked State House intruder gets lawyer’s attention
  3. July 2026
  4. The Namibian

    Giano Seibeb allegedly gained unauthorised access to State House

    Source

    His removal follows an incident on 30 April in which Giano Seibeb (29) allegedly gained unauthorised access to State House.

    VIP protection chief removed after State House security breach
  5. June 2026
  6. The Namibian

    Giano Seibeb was assessed to be mentally unfit for trial

    Source

    Giano Seibeb (29) "is not fit to stand trial, he cannot follow and understand the court proceedings, and cannot make a proper defence", a psychiatrist says in a psychiatric evaluation report submitted to the Windhoek Magistrate's Court yesterday.

    State House intruder found unfit for trial
  7. The Namibian

    Giano Seibeb was diagnosed with schizophrenia and substance use disorder

    Source

    Psychiatrist Nelao Mhata reported to the court that Seibeb has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and substance use disorder.

    State House intruder found unfit for trial
  8. Informanté

    Giano Seibeb was arrested for breaching security and intruding into State House while naked

    Source

    Giano Seibeb (29), a Namibian man diagnosed with schizophrenia who was arrested for breaching security and intruding into the presidential residence (State House) in Windhoek while naked on 30 April 2026, has been found unfit to stand trial.

    State House intruder Seibeb found unfit to stand trial
  9. Informanté

    Giano Seibeb has been found unfit to stand trial

    Source

    Giano Seibeb (29), a Namibian man diagnosed with schizophrenia who was arrested for breaching security and intruding into the presidential residence (State House) in Windhoek while naked on 30 April 2026, has been found unfit to stand trial.

    State House intruder Seibeb found unfit to stand trial
  10. May 2026
  11. Windhoek Observer

    Giano Seibeb allegedly broke into residence of VVIP Protection Unit head Michael Abraham

    Source

    Reports have also emerged that Seibeb allegedly broke into the residence of the head of the VVIP Protection Unit, Michael Abraham, on the same day his family reported him missing.

    President avoids State House after naked man break-in
  12. The Namibian

    Giano Seibeb was found naked at State House

    Source

    The tragedy of Giano Seibeb, the man found naked at State House, and of the man who was shot dead at Otjiwarongo should be the final wake-up call.

    Editorial: Mental Health Care in Shambles
  13. The Namibian

    Giano Seibeb is accused of trespassing at State House in Windhoek

    Source

    This comes after Giano Seibeb (29), who is accused of trespassing at State House in Windhoek two weeks ago, escaped from the facility where he had been admitted before the incident.

    Windhoek mental health facility security risks exposed
  14. The Namibian

    Giano Seibeb is accused of trespassing at State House in Windhoek

    Source

    The family of Giano Seibeb (29), who is accused of trespassing at State House in Windhoek on Thursday last week, is demanding to see closed-circuit television footage of the incident.

    Naked State House intruder’s family demands answers

Thursday 13 August

  1. Lawyer delays response to mental evaluation report on accused

    Defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht says he needs time to consider a psychiatric evaluation report on his client, Giano Seibeb (29), who was arrested at State House in Windhoek on 30 April after allegedly being found naked on the premises. Seibeb's case has been postponed to 4 September.

    13 August 2026 · The Namibian

Monday 6 July

  1. Police VIP protection chief removed after State House breach

    Police commissioner Michael Abraham has been removed from his position as head of the VIP protection unit following a security breach at State House on 30 April, in which an unauthorised intruder gained access. Deputy commissioner Sebastian Kandunda has replaced Abraham in the role, while Abraham has been transferred to the Office of the Inspector General.

    6 July 2026 · The Namibian

Thursday 25 June

  1. State House intruder declared mentally unfit for trial

    Giano Seibeb, a 29-year-old Windhoek resident who breached State House security in April when found naked in a presidential guest house, has been assessed as mentally unfit to stand trial. A psychiatrist diagnosed him with schizophrenia and substance use disorder, concluding he was incapable of appreciating the wrongfulness of his actions at the time of the alleged offences.

    25 June 2026 · The Namibian

  2. State House intruder found unfit to stand trial

    Giano Seibeb, arrested for intruding into the presidential residence on 30 April 2026, has been found unfit to stand trial. The court postponed the matter to 24 July 2026 to secure legal representation for Seibeb, who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, and ordered his transfer to Gobabis Correctional Facility due to Windhoek's lack of capacity to accommodate his mental health needs.

    25 June 2026 · Informanté

Monday 18 May

  1. President avoids State House after break-in incident

    President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah has not slept in her private residential wing at State House since a naked mental health patient broke into the premises nearly three weeks ago; she is staying at her private home in Hochland Park. The incident led to the suspension of police inspector general Joseph Shikongo and raised questions about security, as CCTV cameras were allegedly switched off at the time.

    18 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Sunday 17 May

  1. Mental health crisis demands urgent action beyond legislation

    The Namibian editorial argues that Namibia's mental health system is in crisis, citing a security breach at State House, a fatal police shooting of a man with mental illness, and nurse safety fears as symptoms of deeper problems. While a new mental health bill promises modernisation and human rights alignment, the editorial warns that laws alone cannot treat patients and calls for immediate systemic action alongside legislative reform.

    17 May 2026 · The Namibian

Thursday 14 May

  1. Windhoek mental health facility admits systemic security failures

    The Ministry of Health and Social Services acknowledged systemic failures at the Windhoek Central Mental Health Centre, citing inadequate infrastructure and human resource deficits that contributed to poor supervision. The admission followed a patient escaping and a fatal police shooting incident.

    14 May 2026 · The Namibian

Friday 8 May

  1. 161-page dossier alleges fraud, corruption by police chief Shikongo

    A Windhoek resident submitted a 161-page dossier to the Security Commission in April 2025 requesting President Nandi-Ndaitwah remove inspector general Joseph Shikongo from office, alleging corruption, criminal interference, intimidation and abuse of state institutions. Nandi-Ndaitwah appointed major general Anne-Marie Nainda as acting inspector general, though the president did not publicly state reasons for the suspension.

    8 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Thursday 7 May

  1. President removes police inspector general citing State House breach

    President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah removed Police Inspector General Joseph Shikongo and replaced him with Major General Anne-Marie Nainda, citing a security incident in which a naked man was found inside the presidential residence as the reason for the removal.

    7 May 2026 · The Namibian

  2. State House intruder's family seeks CCTV footage and answers

    The family of Giano Seibeb, accused of trespassing at State House in Windhoek, is demanding to see closed-circuit television footage of the incident and wants answers on how he escaped Windhoek Central Hospital's mental health centre where he had been admitted. The incident led President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah to suspend police inspector general Joseph Shikongo.

    7 May 2026 · The Namibian

  3. Police withhold State House CCTV footage during investigation

    Police say CCTV footage from an incident in which Giano Seibeb was found naked at State House will not be released while investigations are ongoing. A criminal case has been opened; the chief of presidential security has been reassigned, and police say no further details can be provided while the matter is sub-judice.

    7 May 2026 · The Namibian

  4. Nampol silent on Shikongo suspension benefit details

    The Namibian Police is not disclosing whether suspended inspector general Joseph Shikongo retains his salary and benefits during suspension; Nampol referred media inquiries to the Presidency's statement, which does not address the conditions of Shikongo's suspension.

    7 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Wednesday 6 May

  1. State House intruder has escaped mental health care four times

    The mother of Giano Seibeb, who is accused of trespassing and breaking into the Presidential residence at State House on 30 April 2026, said she had admitted her son to mental health facilities on about four occasions, from which he escaped. According to his medical passport, Seibeb has a history of schizophrenia; the prosecutor has ordered a psychological evaluation to determine whether he is fit to stand trial.

    6 May 2026 · Informanté

  2. State House intruder ordered for psychiatric observation

    A 29-year-old Windhoek resident charged with trespassing, indecent exposure, and housebreaking after being found naked in a State House guest house has been ordered to undergo psychiatric observation to determine if he can understand court proceedings. He has a history of schizophrenia and escaped from a mental ward at Windhoek Central Hospital before the incident.

    6 May 2026 · The Namibian

  3. State House intruder case depends on mental fitness assessment

    A 29-year-old man accused of trespassing and housebreaking at State House must undergo mental evaluation to determine fitness to stand trial, though a legal expert notes mental illness does not automatically remove criminal responsibility. The accused was diagnosed with schizophrenia and had left a mental health facility without formal discharge.

    6 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Tuesday 5 May

  1. Man charged with breaching State House security appears in court

    Giano Seibeb (29) appeared in Windhoek Magistrate's Court charged with trespassing, housebreaking with intent to commit an offence, and contravening the Immoral Practices Act after allegedly breaching State House security and entering the presidential residence naked on 30 April 2026. The court postponed the matter to 22 June 2026 for a mental evaluation; Seibeb, who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, indicated he wishes to plead guilty.

    5 May 2026 · Informanté

  2. State House intruder appears in court on security breach charges

    Giano Seibeb (29) appeared in Windhoek Magistrate's Court facing charges of trespassing, housebreaking with intent, and contravening the Immoral Practices Act after breaching State House security on 30 April. The court heard he had escaped from the mental health ward at Windhoek Central Hospital where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia; the state requested postponement to 22 June 2026 for a mental evaluation.

    5 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Giano Seibeb — Namibian press coverage · Namibia Minute