Namibia Minute.
Friday, 21 August 2026
Namibia’s news, on the hour · Est. 2026
Friday, 21 August 2026
OkaLexTranslate English into Oshikwanyama, Oshindonga, Rukwangali and OtjihereroMachine translation.Open the translator →
Windhoek—:—London—:—New York—:—Beijing—:—
Namibian press · Person

Thomas Masuku

Also known as: judge Thomas Masuku · Justice Masuku · Judge Masuku

High Court judge who presided over cryptocurrency fraud, GIPF embezzlement, corruption, and municipal governance cases in Namibia.

2021-12-122026-08-21

What’s been said

Key points drawn from coverage. Tap a point to see the original sentence.

  1. August 2026
  2. Windhoek Observer

    Judge Thomas Masuku delivered judgment dismissing the application on 5 August 2026

    Source

    Judge Thomas Masuku delivered the judgment on 5 August 2026, bringing the matter to an end after more than two years of litigation.

    Court clears police search in N$163 million crypto fraud case
  3. The Namibian

    Judge Thomas Masuku started hearing Hamutenya's testimony in the matter on Tuesday

    Source

    Judge Thomas Masuku started hearing Hamutenya's testimony in the matter on Tuesday.

    Mathews Hamutenya sues woman for N$300 000 over rape claim
  4. July 2026
  5. Informanté

    High Court Judge Thomas Masuku dismissed Tsanigab's suit against Grootfontein Municipality for N$771 008

    Source

    In another ruling related to Tsanigab, High Court Judge Thomas Masuku dismissed a case in which Tsanigab, via his company Elseldra & Etnee Trading CC, sued the Grootfontein Municipality for N$771 008, claiming it had rented out a heavy-duty jackhammer in November 2020 at a daily rate of N$2 450.

    Corruption case of Tsanigab thrown out of court
  6. June 2026
  7. New Era

    Judge Thomas Masuku ordered immediate reinstatement of Annelise Knaus and Easter Isaak to their positions

    Source

    Given on Monday, the order directs the immediate reinstatement of Annelise Knaus and Easter Isaak into their positions, pending the final determination of the case.

    Keetmanshoop: Embattled  LPM councillors return … court suspends no-confidence vote
  8. Windhoek Observer

    Justice Thomas Masuku delivered ruling before which court granted interim relief to applicants

    Source

    In a ruling delivered on Monday before justice Thomas Masuku, the court granted urgent interim relief to applicants Easter Isaak and Anneliza Knaus, effectively halting the implementation of the municipality's decision to remove them from office.

    Court reinstates Keetmanshoop management committee members after no-confidence vote
  9. May 2026
  10. The Namibian

    Judge Thomas Masuku found that the GIPF showed two former employees were responsible for N$18.6 million in fraudulent payments

    Source

    This is a finding made by judge Thomas Masuku in a judgement delivered in the Windhoek High Court last week.

    Two former GIPF employees ordered to repay N$18.6m after system fraud
  11. The Namibian

    Judge Thomas Masuku heard the matter in Windhoek High Court

    Source

    The matter appeared briefly before judge Thomas Masuku in the Windhoek High Court on Monday.

    Govt defends N$13-million lawsuit over alleged Katutura hospital negligence
  12. Informanté

    High Court judge Thomas Masuku ruled in favour of the Government Institutions Pension Fund

    Source

    HIGH Court judge Thomas Masuku has ruled in favour of the Government Institutions Pension Fund (GIPF), ordering two former employees who are accused of defrauding the institution to pay back an amount of N$18.6 million, which they are said to have embezzled via an illegal scheme.

    High Court rules in favour of GIPF in N$18 million case
  13. February 2026
  14. The Namibian

    Judge Thomas Masuku convicted Conradie and Sara Damases on two charges under the Anti-Corruption Act

    Source

    Judge Thomas Masuku convicted Conradie (66) and a family friend, Sara Damases (61), on the two charges in a judgement delivered in the Windhoek High Court yesterday.

    Veteran lawyer Dirk Conradie convicted on two Anti‑Corruption Act charges in long‑running MTC case
  15. Informanté

    Judge Thomas Masuku found Dirk Conradie and Sarah Damases guilty of contravening section 42 of the Anti-Corruption Act

    Source

    HIGH Court Judge Thomas Masuku has found prominent lawyer Dirk Conradie and a co-accused, Sarah Damases, guilty of contravening section 42 of the Anti-Corruption Act after they allegedly tried to convince the directors of advertising company DV8 Saatchi & Saatchi to hire Damases as their Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) partner in exchange for securing a N$60 million advertising contract.

    Prominent lawyer Conradie found guilty on corruption charge related to MTC
Society

High Court upholds warrantless police search in crypto fraud case

The News

The High Court of Namibia has dismissed a challenge to a warrantless search and seizure conducted by police at the Buitepos border post in March 2024, involving businessman Coenraad Barend Nolte Botha and others suspected of fraud involving N$163 million. Judge Thomas Masuku ruled that the police were competent to investigate and that the seizure of electronic devices, financial records, and a cryptocurrency hardware wallet was lawful.

7 August 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Friday 7 August

  1. High Court upholds warrantless police search in crypto fraud case

    The High Court of Namibia has dismissed a challenge to a warrantless search and seizure conducted by police at the Buitepos border post in March 2024, involving businessman Coenraad Barend Nolte Botha and others suspected of fraud involving N$163 million. Judge Thomas Masuku ruled that the police were competent to investigate and that the seizure of electronic devices, financial records, and a cryptocurrency hardware wallet was lawful.

    7 August 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Thursday 6 August

  1. Businessman sues accuser for N$300,000 over rape claim

    Businessman Mathews Hamutenya is suing a Windhoek resident for N$300,000, alleging she falsely accused him of rape from 2006 and defamed him. The Office of the Prosecutor General declined to prosecute him in December 2024 after investigation of the complaint she filed in August 2024.

    6 August 2026 · The Namibian

Friday 17 July

  1. Corruption case against former Grootfontein councillor struck from roll

    A corruption case against former Grootfontein councillor Etnee Jack Tsanigab, arrested in 2020 for allegedly using family members' names to buy property cheaply from the local authority, was struck from the court roll after the State indicated it was not ready to proceed. In a related matter, High Court Judge Thomas Masuku dismissed Tsanigab's N$771 008 claim against Grootfontein Municipality for alleged jackhammer rental costs, finding he could not provide supporting invoices.

    17 July 2026 · Informanté

  2. Corruption case against former Grootfontein councillor struck from court roll

    Former Grootfontein councillor Etnee Jack Tsanigab, arrested in 2020 on suspicion of using family members' names to buy property cheaply from the local authority, has had his case struck from the court roll after the State indicated it was not ready to proceed. In a related matter, a High Court judge dismissed Tsanigab's N$771,008 claim against Grootfontein Municipality over a jackhammer rental dispute.

    17 July 2026 · Informanté

Friday 10 July

  1. High Court sets aside Keetmanshoop council no-confidence vote as unlawful

    The High Court declared that Keetmanshoop municipal council meetings held on 7 May and 4 June 2026, at which councillors Easter Isaak and Anneliza Knaus were removed from the management committee, violated the law, standing rules, and the Constitution. The court ruled the no-confidence motion procedurally defective and ordered that Isaak and Knaus be restored to their positions.

    10 July 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Friday 19 June

  1. Court suspends Keetmanshoop councillor removals, orders reinstatement

    High Court Judge Thomas Masuku has suspended implementation of a no-confidence vote that removed two Landless People's Movement councillors from the Keetmanshoop Municipality in May, and ordered their immediate reinstatement pending final determination. The councillors, Annelise Knaus and Easter Isaak, argue their removal was unlawful and that the council meetings that led to it violated standing rules under the Local Authorities Act.

    19 June 2026 · New Era

Thursday 18 June

  1. LPM leader dismisses Keetmanshoop mayor over councillor vote

    The Landless People's Movement leader Bernadus Swartbooi dismissed ousted Keetmanshoop mayor Melody Swartbooi after she allegedly failed to ensure a motion of no confidence against two fellow LPM councillors was brought to council, with derogatory WhatsApp messages and audio recordings revealing long-standing tensions between them.

    18 June 2026 · The Namibian

  2. Court halts Keetmanshoop council's removal of management committee members

    The High Court of Namibia has ordered the reinstatement of two Keetmanshoop municipality management committee members—Easter Isaak and Anneliza Knaus—who were removed through votes of no confidence in May and June, and has interdicted the municipality from implementing those resolutions pending the finalisation of the main application.

    18 June 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Monday 18 May

  1. High Court orders two former GIPF employees to repay N$18.6m

    Judge Thomas Masuku ruled that two former annuity administrators, Martin Smith and Vabiola Aoses, were responsible for fraudulent payments totalling N$18.6 million from the Government Institutions Pension Fund and must repay that amount plus 20% annual interest.

    18 May 2026 · The Namibian

  2. Government defends N$13-million Katutura Hospital negligence lawsuit

    The government has filed notice to defend a N$13-million lawsuit brought by a woman who claims a broken surgical needle was left lodged in her uterus following 2016 surgery at Katutura Intermediate Hospital. In a special plea, government attorneys denied allegations of negligence against the Ministry of Health and Social Services, arguing medical staff acted with appropriate expertise and care.

    18 May 2026 · The Namibian

Tuesday 12 May

  1. High Court orders N$18.6 million repayment in GIPF fraud case

    High Court judge Thomas Masuku ruled in favour of the Government Institutions Pension Fund, ordering two former employees, Martin Eugen Smith and Vabiola Aoses, to repay N$18,664,657.59 they allegedly embezzled by creating false documents to reactivate suspended child annuitant benefits and channelling the funds into personal accounts.

    12 May 2026 · Informanté

Thursday 19 March

  1. Amushelelo and Cloete seek consolidation of 360 fraud charges

    Social activist Michael Amushelelo and business partner Gregory Cloete have asked the High Court to consolidate 360 fraud and money laundering charges against them, claiming several counts are duplications. The two face allegations of defrauding investors through an investment scheme known as Project One Million between 2018 and 2019.

    19 March 2026 · New Era

Thursday 12 February

  1. Veteran lawyer Conradie convicted on anti-corruption charges in MTC case

    High Court Judge Thomas Masuku convicted lawyer Dirk Conradie and Sara Damases on two Anti-Corruption Act charges after a long-running trial, finding they corruptly solicited gratification and conspired to breach the law in connection with an MTC advertising tender worth about N$60 million. Conradie was acquitted on a third charge of corruptly using his former position as MTC board chairperson.

    12 February 2026 · The Namibian

Wednesday 11 February

  1. Lawyer Dirk Conradie convicted of corruption over MTC tender

    Prominent lawyer Dirk Conradie has been found guilty of corruption and conspiracy to commit corruption in relation to a N$60 million MTC telecommunications tender. The Windhoek High Court convicted him of attempting to bribe business figures with an advertising contract in exchange for accepting his co-accused Sara Damases as a black economic empowerment partner.

    11 February 2026 · New Era

  2. Prominent lawyer Conradie guilty of corruption in MTC contract scheme

    High Court Judge Thomas Masuku found lawyer Dirk Conradie and Sarah Damases guilty of contravening the Anti-Corruption Act after they tried to influence an advertising company to hire Damases as a BEE partner in exchange for securing a N$60 million MTC contract. Conradie, who was MTC board chairperson at the time, was found guilty on two counts: contravening section 42 of the Anti-Corruption Act and conspiring to commit an offence, though the judge found him not guilty on a third count relating to use of public office for gratification.

    11 February 2026 · Informanté

Thomas Masuku — Namibian press coverage · Namibia Minute