Key points drawn from coverage. Tap a point to see the original sentence.
March 2026
The Namibian
Regional education director Alex Sikumesaidconsultations with Ministry of Works and Transport and other stakeholders on relocation are ongoing
Source
“"All the schools in the floodplains are badly affected. Therefore, there's a need to relocate them. We are in consultation with the Ministry of Works and Transport, as well as other stakeholders to see how we will go about the relocation," he said.”
Alex Sikumesaida stream en route to the school is filling up with flood- and rainwater, making the school inaccessible by road beyond a certain point
Source
“Zambezi regional education director Alex Sikume yesterday said a stream en route to the school is filling up with flood- and rainwater, making the school inaccessible by road beyond a certain point.”
Regional education director Alex Sikumesaid the holiday school aimed tostrengthen learning recovery in subjects with gaps
Source
“Regional education director Alex Sikume last week said the holiday school aimed to strengthen learning recovery, especially in subjects where pupils have shown learning gaps.”
Sikumesaid over 200 teachers volunteered todeliver lessons and academic support
Source
“Sikume said over 200 teachers, most of whom are subject specialists, volunteered to deliver lessons and academic support and oversee enrichment activities.”
Regional education director Alex Sikumenotedthe region procured over 820 mattresses last year, with 200 for CSSS
Source
“Regional education director Alex Sikume, who briefed the media on the mattress issue at the school, noted that the region procured over 820 mattresses last year. He added that CSSS will be the beneficiary of 200 of these mattresses.”
Regional education director Alex Sikumenotedthe holiday school is one of many strategies to return the region to its former glory of ranking among the best performing schools
Source
“Regional education director Alex Sikume, responding to questions sent by The Namibian on Friday, noted that the holiday school is only one of many strategies in place to return the region to its former glory of ranking among the best performing schools.”
Katima Mulilo Town Council has resolved to donate two plots in Extension 27 and Townlands no 1328, measuring 2.52 hectares and 6 hectares respectively, to the Ministry of Education to address classroom overcrowding in the town, where most schools have more than 1,000 pupils enrolled.
Katima Mulilo Town Council has resolved to donate two plots in Extension 27 and Townlands no 1328, measuring 2.52 hectares and 6 hectares respectively, to the Ministry of Education to address classroom overcrowding in the town, where most schools have more than 1,000 pupils enrolled.
Dozens of pupils from three flood-affected schools in Zambezi have not returned to class since the term began after schools were relocated to higher ground in March. Parents have kept pupils home, citing inadequate conditions and lack of teaching at the relocation sites.
Grades 8 and 9 boys at Caprivi Senior Secondary School were forced to sleep in cold corridors without blankets as punishment for losing hostel keys. The incident has drawn condemnation from parents and the Namibia National Students Organisation, with the regional education director confirming the matter and pledging to address it through public service staff rules.
A Simataa Secondary School pupil was severely assaulted on 23 March by a Grade 12 pupil and three others over an unpaid N$20 debt, suffering spinal cord injury, breathing difficulties, and vision problems. The accused is out on bail of N$2,000 and returned to school, while the victim remains hospitalized and may repeat his grade.
Three flood-affected schools in Kabbe North and Kabbe South have relocated approximately 528 learners to higher ground in Luhonono and Lusese, with classes resuming on Tuesday. The Ministry of Works and Transport assisted with the relocation using larger and smaller boats, and learners will be accommodated in hostels, community facilities, and temporary classroom tents while the region deploys floating bridges to restore access to isolated communities.
Devastating floods and locust outbreaks in Namibia's Zambezi region have destroyed thousands of hectares of crops and displaced over 2,000 people, prompting the government to commit to feeding affected residents until the next harvest season. The regional minister has called on government to provide seeds, fodder for livestock, and continued support as communities struggle with starvation.
Severe flooding in Namibia's Zambezi region has submerged villages and displaced families to higher ground and schools, with officials reporting shortages of tents and food aid despite assistance from the Prime Minister's office. The floods have also pushed wildlife out of their natural habitat, prompting the Environment and Tourism ministry to map displaced animals to prevent poaching.
The Zambezi regional education directorate is considering relocating about nine schools severely affected by annual floods in the eastern part of the region, with water levels at 6.78m. Consultations with relevant authorities are ongoing, and the government has allocated N$30 million for the uprooting of at least three of the schools.
Severe floods in Namibia's Zambezi region have made schools, clinics, and villages inaccessible except by boat, with the Zambezi River water level at 6.75m compared to 2.17m last year. Governor Dorothy Kabula-Simushi says officials plan to relocate affected communities and schools to higher ground while the Office of the Prime Minister has delivered tents, food, and water tanks to support displaced residents.
Rising floodwaters in the Zambezi region have cut off road access to Muzii Combined School, with pupils now using canoes to cross a swollen stream before walking to class. The regional education director says teaching is uninterrupted but authorities are prepared to take safety measures if flooding worsens.