Namibia Minute.
Thursday, 21 May 2026
Namibia’s news, on the hour · Est. 2026
Thursday, 21 May 2026
Windhoek—:—London—:—New York—:—Beijing—:—
Namibian press · Person

Allexer Namundjembo

2026-04-302026-05-21

In coverage

Verbatim sentences from the source article.

  1. May 2026
  2. Allexer Namundjembo The City of Windhoek says it has resolved the matter involving a house built without municipal approval in Havana Informal Settlement earlier this year.

    Windhoek Observer

    CoW halts Havana house demolition
  3. Allexer Namundjembo The recent announcement by the City of Windhoek (CoW) that its debt has been reduced from N$888 million to N$869 million has sparked criticism from residents, who say the municipality spends more money on salaries while service delivery remains poor.

    Windhoek Observer

    Windhoek residents question CoW’s debt reduction
  4. Allexer Namundjembo The family of 23-year-old Martha Uupindi is appealing to the public for financial assistance to help fund life-saving medical treatment in South Africa.

    Windhoek Observer

    Family appeals for help to save young stylist
  5. A suspect has been taken into custody and investigations into the incident are ongoing.Reporter: Allexer Namundjembo

    Windhoek Observer

    Man found dead on railway line
  6. April 2026
  7. Allexer Namundjembo Consultations on a petition by former members of the South West Africa Territorial Force (SWAFT) kicked off on Wednesday as they seek recognition and compensation under the law.

    Windhoek Observer

    Consultations begin on SWATF veterans petition
Society

City of Windhoek halts Havana house demolition after settlement

The News

The City of Windhoek has resolved a case involving an unapproved house in Havana Informal Settlement after the homeowner requested that compliance conditions be relaxed. Under the agreement, the owner committed to residential use with limited charitable activities, and must complete specific remaining works while accepting liability for occupying the unapproved structure.

20 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Yesterday

  1. City of Windhoek halts Havana house demolition after settlement

    The City of Windhoek has resolved a case involving an unapproved house in Havana Informal Settlement after the homeowner requested that compliance conditions be relaxed. Under the agreement, the owner committed to residential use with limited charitable activities, and must complete specific remaining works while accepting liability for occupying the unapproved structure.

    20 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Monday 18 May

  1. Two three-year-old girls killed in shack fire, Oshikoto

    A fire in Okakoko Village, Oshikoto region, claimed the lives of two three-year-old girls on Sunday morning while they slept in a corrugated iron structure. The blaze broke out while a domestic worker was gathering firewood; authorities are investigating the cause.

    18 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Tuesday 12 May

  1. Truck drivers criticise border post delays and system inefficiencies

    The chief of the Namibian Revolutionary Transport Union has criticised long delays at border posts, blaming slow processes within the Namibia Revenue Agency and calling for contingency plans. A truck driver cited extended waits during verification and inspection at Oshikango Border Post.

    12 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Monday 11 May

  1. Ministry clarifies fuel drum purchases by farmers, tourism operators

    The Ministry of Industries, Mines and Energy said farmers, tourism operators and other businesses buying fuel in drums and jerry cans for operational use should not be viewed as engaging in fuel hoarding or panic buying. The ministry instructed fuel retailers to use discretion and ask for reasonable explanations to distinguish legitimate bulk buyers from those stockpiling, with temporary measures remaining in place for three months.

    11 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

  2. City of Windhoek reports debt reduction amid service criticism

    The City of Windhoek announced a reduction in debt from N$888 million to N$869 million, but residents criticized the municipality for spending heavily on salaries while service delivery remains poor, citing issues with waste collection and road repairs.

    11 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Friday 8 May

  1. Family seeks funds for stylish's life-saving bone marrow transplant

    The family of 23-year-old Martha Uupindi, a TVET student and stylist with very severe aplastic anaemia, is appealing for public financial assistance to fund a bone marrow transplant in South Africa. Although Psemas insurance will cover a significant portion, the family faces costs exceeding N$200 000.

    8 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Thursday 7 May

  1. Venaani defends President's constitutional authority to hire and fire

    PDM leader McHenry Venaani said President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah has the constitutional authority to dismiss senior officials without necessarily giving public explanations, in response to the suspension of police inspector general Joseph Shikongo. Venaani argued that leaders make key decisions based on sensitive information unavailable to the public.

    7 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Wednesday 6 May

  1. Opposition groups criticise political dominance at national commemoration events

    Opposition leaders say Cassinga Day and Workers' Day have become political mobilisation events for Swapo rather than state occasions reflecting national unity, citing concerns about the presence of the Ndilimani Cultural Troupe and the absence of national institutions at these public holidays.

    6 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Tuesday 5 May

  1. 46-year-old man found dead on Windhoek railway line

    Nangombe Martin Meduletu was found dead on railway tracks at Omutsegwonime village in the early hours of Saturday; police suspect he was struck by a train. A suspect has been taken into custody and investigations are ongoing.

    5 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Thursday 30 April

  1. SWATF veterans petition consultations begin in parliament committee

    Consultations began on a petition signed by 71 former members of the South West Africa Territorial Force seeking recognition as liberation veterans under the Veterans Act, 2008, and access to compensation funds they claim to have been denied for 35 years. The petitioners questioned accountability for a reported N$36 million compensation fund and N$100 million demobilisation fund.

    30 April 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Allexer Namundjembo — Namibian press coverage · Namibia Minute