Namibia Minute.
Friday, 21 August 2026
Namibia’s news, on the hour · Est. 2026
Friday, 21 August 2026
OkaLexTranslate English into Oshikwanyama, Oshindonga, Rukwangali and OtjihereroMachine translation.Open the translator →
Windhoek—:—London—:—New York—:—Beijing—:—
Namibian press · Person

Andrew Kanime

Andrew Kanime — CEO of Namibia Ports Authority, overseeing port modernization and infrastructure development.

2023-10-122026-08-21

What’s been said

Key points drawn from coverage. Tap a point to see the original sentence.

  1. August 2026
  2. Namibian Sun

    CEO Andrew Kanime is racing to modernise ageing infrastructure before Namibia's emerging oil, gas and green hydrogen industries place greater pressure on ports

    Source

    Namport is racing to modernise ageing infrastructure before Namibia's emerging oil, gas and green hydrogen industries place even greater pressure on its ports, CEO Andrew Kanime ...

    Ageing infrastructure threatens NDP6 delivery
  3. Windhoek Observer

    Namport chief executive Andrew Kanime said public enterprises should explore private capital rather than rely solely on government funding for infrastructure projects

    Source

    Meanwhile, Namport chief executive Andrew Kanime said public enterprises should explore private capital rather than rely solely on government funding for major infrastructure projects.

    NAB calls for single authority to overhaul crop sector
  4. The Namibian

    Namibia Ports Authority chief executive Andrew Kanime urged SOEs to explore partnerships with private sector for financial sustainability

    Source

    Namibia Ports Authority chief executive Andrew Kanime, during a panel discussion, urged SOEs to look beyond government funding and explore partnerships with the private sector to achieve financial sustainability.

    Finance minister Shafudah tells state-owned enterprises to stop relying on state funds
  5. New Era

    Namibia Ports Authority CEO Andrew Kanime said public is no longer interested in hearing whether public enterprises are ready

    Source

    During the panel discussion, Namibia Ports Authority CEO Andrew Kanime said the public is no longer interested in hearing whether public enterprises are ready.

    ‘24 months or else’ … NNN demands results from SOEs
  6. Windhoek Observer

    NamPort chief executive officer Andrew Kanime said public enterprises should focus on outcomes rather than declaring readiness

    Source

    Namibia Ports Authority (NamPort) chief executive officer Andrew Kanime said public enterprises should focus on outcomes rather than simply declaring readiness.

    ‘I’ll be a disruptive president for the sake of Namibians’ — NNN
  7. July 2026
  8. The Namibian

    Namport chief executive Andrew Kanime stated assessment based on documents Anol submitted

    Source

    In a letter dated 13 May to the minister of works and transport as well as to the minister of industries, mines and energy, Namport chief executive Andrew Kanime says the assessment was based on documents Anol submitted.

    Namport rejects Ghanaian businessman’s N$4bn port proposal
  9. March 2026
  10. New Era

    Namibia Ports Authority CEO Andrew Kanime described AfCFTA as bold initiative driven by African unity

    Source

    Namibia Ports Authority (Namport) CEO Andrew Kanime, during last year's shipping process, described AfCFTA as a bold initiative driven by African unity.

    Erongo at 36: Namibia’s economic engine
  11. The Namibian

    Andrew Kanime provided tracksuits to ||Kharas team

    Source

    They also received tracksuits from Andrew Kanime of the Namibian Ports Authority, he says.

    NovaNam sponsors ||Kharas for Nedbank Namibian Newspaper Cup
  12. The Namibian

    Namport chief executive Andrew Kanime wrote to Nekundi on 22 January requesting approval for additional sitting fees

    Source

    Namport chief executive Andrew Kanime wrote to Nekundi on 22 January, requesting approval for additional payments.

    Nekundi tells Namport not to take business from company belonging to president’s son
  13. February 2026
  14. Informanté

    Namport CEO Andrew Kanime rejected Itula's allegations as untrue

    Source

    Namport CEO Andrew Kanime has now delivered the final blow to the saga, issuing a statement on Wednesday rejecting Itula's allegations as untrue.

    Namport dismisses IPC leader's claims

Tuesday 18 August

  1. Namport modernises ageing infrastructure for oil gas hydrogen

    Namport is modernising ageing infrastructure to meet pressure from Namibia's emerging oil, gas, and green hydrogen industries, according to CEO Andrew Kanime.

    18 August 2026 · Namibian Sun

Monday 10 August

  1. NAB chief proposes single authority for crop sector reform

    The Namibia Agronomic Board's chief executive has called for consolidating crop-related policies and regulatory functions, currently spread across different laws and institutions, under a single institutional authority to unlock investment and strengthen agricultural value chains.

    10 August 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Sunday 9 August

  1. Finance minister urges state enterprises to manage resources better

    Finance Minister Ericah Shafudah told state-owned enterprises to stop relying on increased state funding and instead make effective use of already-allocated resources, saying some SOEs receive funding running into more than N$1 billion. She urged them to end narratives of limited funding and focus on improving management of public financial resources, with the Namibia Ports Authority chief executive also recommending SOEs explore private-sector partnerships for financial sustainability.

    9 August 2026 · The Namibian

Friday 7 August

  1. President gives state enterprises 24 months to deliver results

    President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah told parastatals she will not accept long-term plans or bureaucratic delays, demanding instead tangible outcomes within 24 months and threatening personal intervention to remove obstacles to economic development.

    7 August 2026 · New Era

  2. President sets 24-month deadline for SOE investment projects

    President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah has directed state-owned enterprises to identify strategic investment projects ready for implementation within 24 months and specific reforms to unlock growth, saying she will "disrupt" government systems where necessary to remove barriers to delivery.

    7 August 2026 · Windhoek Observer

Sunday 26 July

  1. Namport rejects Ghanaian businessman's N$4bn port proposal

    The Namibian Ports Authority has rejected a proposal by a Ghanaian businessman and his Namibian partners to develop a N$4-billion oil and gas supply base at the Port of Lüderitz, finding that the company did not meet requirements for a 25-year development concession.

    26 July 2026 · The Namibian

Friday 20 March

  1. Erongo region contributes billions to Namibia's economy

    The Erongo region drives Namibia's economy through mining, fishing, and emerging sectors like renewable energy and oil and gas. Mining contributed N$51.3 billion to GDP in 2024, while fishing generates N$15 billion annually, though the region faces challenges including unemployment of 32% and housing shortages.

    20 March 2026 · New Era

  2. NovaNam sponsors ||Kharas under-20 team for football tournament

    Fishing company NovaNam has donated supplies to the ||Kharas under-20 football team preparing for the Nedbank Namibian Newspaper Cup. The ||Kharas Football chairperson says the sponsorship came at a crucial time and called on regional businesses to support youth sports and community development.

    20 March 2026 · The Namibian

Sunday 1 March

  1. Minister warned Namport against sidelining president's son's company

    Transport minister Veikko Nekundi reportedly warned Namport bosses at a January meeting not to take business from Tradeport Namibia, co-owned by President Nandi-Ndaitwah's son Nande Ndaitwah, which Namport said stood to lose about N$20 million in annual income if it brought in a competing South African operator. Nekundi denies favouring the president's son, saying his duty is to protect local companies over foreign ones.

    1 March 2026 · The Namibian

Friday 27 February

  1. Namport rejects IPC claims about First Family oil involvement

    Namibia Ports Authority CEO Andrew Kanime has dismissed allegations by IPC leader Panduleni Itula that President Nandi-Ndaitwah's sons are involved in the oil and gas sector. Kanime confirmed Namport's business relationship with Tradeport Namibia (operated by the President's son Nande) involves only manganese exports from South Africa, not oil and gas activities.

    27 February 2026 · Informanté

Tuesday 24 February

  1. Namibia signs green port partnership with Korea, AfDB

    The Ministry of Works and Transport and Namibian Ports Authority signed a partnership under the Namibia–Korea Green Port Strategy Programme, receiving technical support and funding from the African Development Bank and the Government of Korea to develop a 10-year Green Port Policy, Strategy, Investment Plan and Implementation Roadmap. Namport, which manages Walvis Bay and Lüderitz ports, aims to reduce emissions, improve air and water quality, and protect marine ecosystems while maintaining economic competitiveness.

    24 February 2026 · New Era

Sunday 15 February

  1. Nida partners with Ghanaian firm for N$4-billion Lüderitz oil port

    The Namibia Industrial Development Agency is partnering with Ghanaian businessman Jory Adu-Boahene to develop a N$4-billion oil and gas supply base in Lüderitz Bay, with Nida claiming a 51% stake. The project, which involves Swapo-linked businessman Josef Andreas, has resurfaced after a previous tender process was cancelled amid disagreements over governance and structure.

    15 February 2026 · The Namibian

Saturday 14 February

  1. US ambassador sees Walvis Bay as regional energy trade hub

    The US ambassador to Namibia said Walvis Bay port could become a major gateway for energy and trade in southern Africa, strengthening secure supply chains and reducing dependence on fragile routes. American companies and organizations are ready to support the port's expansion with expertise in port safety and engineering.

    14 February 2026 · The Namibian

Andrew Kanime — Namibian press coverage · Namibia Minute