Patience Makwele Taxi drivers in Katima Mulilo say the new N$15 taxi fare mainly benefits operators in bigger towns like Windhoek. …
New taxi fare brings little relief outside WindhoekPatience Makwele
In coverage
Verbatim sentences from the source article.
- May 2026
Patience Makwele Otavi residents have accused the town council of failing to deliver basic services. …
Otavi residents slam council over poor service deliveryPatience Makwele The Namibian Police Force (Nampol) has dismissed claims by social justice activist Michael Amushelelo that trial-awaiting inmates at Otjomuise Police Station in Windhoek have gone for weeks without food. …
Nampol rejects Otjomuise food shortage claimsPatience Makwele A new report has found that more than 70% of daily travel among low-income households in Namibia depends on walking and cycling. …
Low-income Namibians forced to walk on unsafe roadsPatience Makwele Growing social media use among young people in Namibia is raising concerns about its impact on confidence, mental health and online safety, especially among children and teenagers. …
Youth confidence shaken by online comparison culturePatience Makwele Urban and rural development minister James Sankwasa has warned against political and administrative power struggles as the government rolls out the decentralisation of youth and sporting functions to regional councils. …
Sankwasa warns against power struggles in decentralisationPatience Makwele Travellers are reporting delays and disrupted immigration services at the Ngoma Border Post. …
Travellers hit by immigration delays at NgomaPatience Makwele The Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Land Reform is moving to revive the long-dormant Rundu Technology Centre. …
Rundu Technology Centre to reopen in three monthsPatience Makwele A 161-page dossier submitted to the Security Commission months before the suspension of inspector general Joseph Shikongo contains allegations of corruption, criminal interference, intimidation and abuse of state institutions involving senior police officials, le …
Petition to remove Shikongo surfaced last year …as he is accused of fraud, robbery and intimidationPatience Makwele The case of the naked State House intruder with a mental health condition does not automatically remove criminal responsibility, says legal expert advocate Paulus Nambili. …
State House intruder case hinges on mental fitness
New N$15 taxi fare provides limited relief outside Windhoek
Taxi drivers in smaller towns like Katima Mulilo say the new N$15 nationwide fare increase, which took effect yesterday, offers little benefit to them as commuters refuse to pay full fares and negotiate lower prices. Drivers in smaller towns report being forced to accept below-approved payments to avoid conflict with passengers.
The new N$15 taxi fare provides limited relief outside Windhoek, with drivers unable to enforce the approved rate in smaller towns.
19 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Yesterday
New N$15 taxi fare provides limited relief outside Windhoek
Taxi drivers in smaller towns like Katima Mulilo say the new N$15 nationwide fare increase, which took effect yesterday, offers little benefit to them as commuters refuse to pay full fares and negotiate lower prices. Drivers in smaller towns report being forced to accept below-approved payments to avoid conflict with passengers.
19 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Otavi residents demand better basic services from council
Otavi residents accused the town council of failing to provide sanitation, water access, and street lighting, citing poor infrastructure and insufficient high mast lights that create safety and health risks. The municipality's acting chief executive said some projects depend on partnerships with stakeholders, including a planned open market by B2Gold pending a memorandum of understanding.
19 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Monday 18 May
Nampol dismisses activist's claims of inmate food shortages
The Namibian Police Force has rejected allegations by social justice activist Michael Amushelelo that trial-awaiting inmates at Otjomuise Police Station have gone weeks without food. Nampol spokesperson deputy commissioner Kauna Shikwambi stated that inmates receive meals three times per day and acknowledged occasional challenges with quantities or supplier delays, while noting that families are permitted to bring food during designated visiting days.
18 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Over 70% of low-income Namibians depend on walking and cycling
A report launched during UN Global Road Safety Week found that more than 70% of daily travel among low-income households in Namibia depends on walking and cycling, but major gaps exist in infrastructure, funding and policies supporting pedestrians and cyclists. Namibia recorded more than 1,000 motor vehicle crashes during the first four months of 2026, resulting in 179 deaths and over 1,700 injuries.
18 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Friday 15 May
Social media use raises youth confidence and mental health concerns
Growing social media use among young people in Namibia is raising concerns about its impact on confidence, mental health and online safety. ICT minister Emma Theofelus and children's advocate Ingrid Husselmann warned that young people develop insecurities from comparing themselves to online lifestyles and appearances, and called for responsibility from parents, governments and technology companies.
15 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Government transfers youth and sports functions to 14 regional councils
Urban and rural development minister James Sankwasa has warned against political and administrative power struggles as the government decentralises youth empowerment, sports promotion and development planning functions to all 14 regional councils, with 327 staff members expected to be seconded during the transition. Sankwasa stressed that decentralisation cannot succeed if institutions compete for authority and called for clarity on reporting lines and responsibilities between governors, regional councils and decentralised staff.
15 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Travellers face immigration delays at Ngoma Border Post
Travellers reported hours-long delays and disrupted services at Ngoma Border Post on Wednesday due to a medical emergency involving an officer who opens the post, with services resuming around 11h00 after additional officers were deployed. Control immigration officer Irvine Mushanana acknowledged ongoing staffing shortages at the border post during busy periods.
15 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Monday 11 May
Rundu Technology Centre to reopen within three months
The Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Land Reform is reviving the N$36 million Rundu Technology Centre, which has underperformed since its 2015 establishment. The facility, created to support agricultural mechanisation for green scheme projects and subsistence farmers, will reopen after the ministry reassesses its strategy and plans to expand services to private farmers to improve financial sustainability.
11 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Friday 8 May
161-page dossier alleges fraud, corruption by police chief Shikongo
A Windhoek resident submitted a 161-page dossier to the Security Commission in April 2025 requesting President Nandi-Ndaitwah remove inspector general Joseph Shikongo from office, alleging corruption, criminal interference, intimidation and abuse of state institutions. Nandi-Ndaitwah appointed major general Anne-Marie Nainda as acting inspector general, though the president did not publicly state reasons for the suspension.
8 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Wednesday 6 May
State House intruder case depends on mental fitness assessment
A 29-year-old man accused of trespassing and housebreaking at State House must undergo mental evaluation to determine fitness to stand trial, though a legal expert notes mental illness does not automatically remove criminal responsibility. The accused was diagnosed with schizophrenia and had left a mental health facility without formal discharge.
6 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Tuesday 5 May
Defence minister denies military takeover of presidential security
Defence Minister Frans Kapofi denied reports that the Namibian Defence Force has assumed responsibility for protecting President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah, saying the military could step in only if required. The denial comes after an alleged security breach at State House on Thursday, when an unidentified man allegedly entered the presidential residence and reached the private living area before being apprehended, though details of how he gained access and whether he was arrested remain unclear.
5 May 2026 · Windhoek Observer →
Thursday 30 April
Reappointed Atomic Energy Board to review laws and assess nuclear projects
Namibia's Atomic Energy Board, chaired by Shitaleni Herman and appointed for a three-year term, will focus on reviewing legislation, strengthening technical capacity, and assessing projects as the country implements its Cabinet-approved Nuclear Industry Strategy. The strategy is now part of the sixth National Development Plan, the first time nuclear development has been included at that level.
30 April 2026 · Windhoek Observer →